Longing For Success

Ever caught yourself wishing you were someone else?  
Though I hate to admit it, I have.
I didn’t really want to be the other person; instead, I longed to have my own sense of accomplishment. I looked at their life and wished I was as successful in school, in my career, with my health, in my marriage, or as a parent.  
Reality check!
It took me a while to realize a longing to have what someone else has would never bring to fruition those things I most desired. It may however, bring about bitterness, envy and strife.
Yikes!
The truth is, there is not another me. I have been formed, skilled, matured, mentored, given specific responsibilities and placed right where I am for a very specific purpose.  So have you. So have they.
When I longed to have what someone else had I was usually looking for a shortcut to get me to where I wanted to be. Or l was looking for an excuse on which to hang my own feelings of inadequacy. Or maybe I was focused on selfish ambitions rather than kingdom gains. Yeah, that last one, that’s probably the closest to the truth.
I’m still learning to focus on these words from Philippians 2:13, “for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.” (NIV)
In other words, I have all I need to do all I’m to do when I rely on God to work within me to accomplish His purposes, not mine.
Today I recognize my job is to lift up those who are succeeding that they may continue to fulfill the purpose God has for them. The more I lift them up, the more overjoyed I am that God is using them in unique ways to reach out to those I was never supposed to reach.
Certainly I have growth opportunities in my life. I want to continue to learn from others how to strengthen my marriage and to be a better parent. I also want to discover ways to help with my desires to be healthier and to use my talents wisely.
Perhaps you’re where I was. Longing for things you don’t yet have. Wishing things in your life were different. Focused on someone else’s successes wishing they were yours.
Would you join me in first accepting all you are. After all, you are “fearfully and wonderfully made.” (Psalm 139:14 NIV) God can and will use you, as you are today. Your purpose is found in today. Embrace it and you!
Then, begin to lift up those in prayer who are "successful” asking for God to continue to bless them for His gain.
Taking these two steps you will begin to find renewed strength for your unique needs and you will see where you are already successful.

Comments

  1. I love this post, MarLo! You hit the nail on the head in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jill! I know we're not alone in needing to remind ourselves of these truths on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! You're such a kindred spirit. I just spoke to a women's group yesterday sharing the very same message. Have your read Be Yourself: Everyone Else is Already Taken? I think you'd like it :)

    Thanks for sharing your site on Moms Together. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the book recommendation Laurie. I haven't read it but it does sound like something I would enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Dawn. I so appreciate the comment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Thin Place For Me - Now I See

Batteries Charged!