Marriage together, living apart


As some of you may know my husband, Michael, has stepped into a new adventure.  He is pursuing a dream to work on Harley Davidson motorcycles.  This dream has temporarily relocated him a 1,000 miles from home for the next 15 months as he attends school. 

I couldn’t be more excited for him!  And more aware of how much I love and miss him.
In a phone conversation the other day, I asked Michael if he thought this separation might be good for our marriage.  Although neither of us likes being apart, we are optimistic considering the timeless saying, “absence makes the heart grow fonder.” 

And so we walk.

In the two short weeks he has been away, I have had overwhelming moments of a deep sense of being alone.  Surprised at expectations for him to walk into a room followed by reality, his rooms are in another place now.  I never knew I had so many comforting thoughts when he was home.  His truck in the driveway, his tv on, hearing him fix a snack in the middle of the night. 


There are moments of normalcy.  Text messages, phone calls, numerous thoughts of him throughout my day.  Those have not changed.  They are more precious than before and no longer taken for granted.

And to be fully honest, there are some advantages to him being gone (sorry honey).  I have taken over more of our closet, have more shelf space in the shower, less laundry and dirty dishes staring at me.  And when I leave our home in the morning it is in the exact same state when I return. 

Yet when I return, I face the stark truth of his absence. 

My heart sighs.

And I am reminded once again of Psalm 38:9 (ESV) “O Lord, all my longing is before you; my sighing is not hidden from you.”

I am comforted knowing God hears my every sigh.  Knows my every longing.  Keeps every tear I have cried.

And He will keep Michael and I together as we are apart. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Longing For Success

A Thin Place For Me - Now I See

Batteries Charged!